Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chili On A Fall Day..

Generally speaking, my weekend mornings are very calm, easy, and reflective. I look forward to my early Saturday and Sunday mornings, sipping my tea or maybe coffee, and listening to that crackle sound of my favorite vinyl album on the record player. My weekend starts that way pretty much every week.
Im sitting here now, listening to the beautiful Miss Lela James' raspy wild sound, not on vinyl, (she isnt vintage enough, LOL) and was thinking of what to blog about. I figured, hmm.. I'll just share what Im doing right now... Im about to make my Vegetarian Black Bean Chili. The fall air smells perfect for it today.

A little history on my cooking experience. I dont. I cant.

Well. I coined that years ago when I first got married. Young. My idea of cooking back then was this:


And we killed ready-made everything. Those ready made pasta packets, the whole nine.

Obviously, my take on nourishing myself and my family is a little different now. And I realized that I have been so used to saying "Im no good in the kitchen" and "Well, I dont cook all that well.." that I lie. Bigtime. Now.. My father, he was a chef. My mother cooks hardcore mama's cookin style. Im no comparison. But. I find that there are certain things that I can cook that come out pretty tasty... I never really give myself credit for them, bc its just following recipes, right?? Nope. Ive tracked my
improvement and progress.

Since choosing a vegetarian lifestyle about 5 years ago, my mind, eyes, and taste buds have been introduced to so many different things that I would never have otherwise introduced into my diet. One of my absolute favorite things to make now, every year around the fall and winter seasons-- is chili. I hated chili as a kid.

So I thought I'd share the recipe with my readers today.. I know, nice of me huh.. This chili is very low in fat, sodium, and calories. Oh yea, wanna know what I meant when I said "Ive tracked my improvement and progress"?? Im not a fan of canned anything. This recipe calls for canned black beans. Progress--> I usually just prepare plain ol black beans the old fashioned way, soaking and boiling... Progress--> And the tomatoes I usually chop myself. Well-- Tiny confession: There is a new "fire roasted" diced tomato and Ive used that.-- But USUALLY I dice my own. Same thing with the peppers. I would say it comes out pretty dang good, whether u crock pot-it or use a big chili pot... So I guess Im a lil som'n in the kitchen. Im gonna coin THAT now. LOL

My glass house, and the kitchen is smokin.

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
8 servings

2 Large Onions (I use red..)
1 Large Green Sweet Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I grate mine..) <--PROGRESS baby yea!!
3- 15oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained (I use fresh)
3 cups of water
1- 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (I use fresh)
1- 4oz can of diced green chile peppers (I use fresh)
1 tbs dried oregano
1 tsp of ground cumin ( I LOVE cumin)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
optional sour cream, cheese, chopped green onion

ONE-- Coat 5-6qt dutch oven w nonstick cooking spray, heat over medium heat. Add onions, sweet pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender.

TWO-- Stir in beans, water, tomatoes, chile peppers, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 20 mins.

Three-- Serve in bowls topped w sour cream, cheese, and green onion if desired.

*Dont say I never gave yall nothin.*


4 comments:

Geeks Can Cook said...

Before this year I had never tried black beans. I found I really liked them, sadly my wife don't. So if I can find enough people to help me eat this I just might make it. It looks really good.

Mo Betta said...

Tear drop...look at you improving your cooking skills. All I want to know is where is my bowl??

hicksgirl93 said...

looks and sounds so good. I love chili! yes you have certainly grown in your kitchen skills...ahem!...actually cooking in it!

Anonymous said...

Looks Delicious! I would love some.