Monday, May 17, 2010

My Whole Life is Great!.. I Can Do Anything Good!

I got an email last week, and it was right on time. I have been trying to put into words my parenting style of choice, and I definitely wanted to blog about it. But I just couldn't quite find the RIGHT words.
Well in this email, there was a quote. Simple. Something that is not so "deep". Not so "profound". Words I've heard before.
"Your children get only one childhood-- Let them enjoy it in their own way."
Hm. That summed it up for me. My parenting steeez is a lot less conventional, I know. I mean, I use words like "steeez" right? But as an artist, I recognize the need to allow my children to be themselves and embrace the things that come naturally to them. The things that feel good and "right" to them- before society's standards and rules embed their minds causing them to follow the majority as opposed to individuality. To deny what they love and are drawn to for fear of being negatively labeled "weird" or "different" when in actuality it is our individual gifts of difference that add to the beauty of this life we live.
I try to allow them to think things through, and my how surprising it is when they dont do too bad... It helps me to see that there is more than one way to accomplish something, and there is room for others' ideas, so to be mindful of thinking someone's thoughts are "insignificant" bc of their age or level of experience. Children are just as quick to follow our positive examples as our negative ones. If we cultivate good things within ourselves, our children pick up on this, and they are learning as well. And how lovely it is when you see their growth through your own...
The point I am making is, in doing the best that I can, for myself which in turn has its highest benefit to my babies, and remembering (as Lisa C. put it) that I am not perfect, and they are not perfect, we can all be ourselves and feel just like Jessica says below:
I LOVE MY LIFE!
There u have it, its my glass house and I'm naked in the window.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peace, This was very enlightening and inspiring. Thank You

Anonymous said...

Peace. This was very enlightening and inspiring. Thank You

hicksgirl93 said...

I love it! I love it!